Flash not working on new PC

David Fletcher kubuntu-users at thefletchers.net
Sun Dec 9 23:03:49 UTC 2007

I've just built a new PC from these (Plus some other!) parts:-

Asus M2N-E SLI Nvidia nForce 500 SLI MCP Socket AM2 8channel audio ATX
Motherboard
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered
CL5(5-5-5-12) Heat Spreader Lifetime Warranty
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket AM2 (2.2GHz) Energy Efficient 1MB L2 Cache OEM
Processor
Asus EN6200LE 64MB Turbocache supporting 256MB DDR DVI PCI-E Graphics Card

I've installed Kubuntu Gutsy (not the AMD 64 version) and everything is
working. Except I can't get flash to work.

I installed Gutsy on an old Toshiba Satellite laptop when it was still beta,
and flash works fine on that i.e. I can watch youtube with no problems.

But on the new AMD machine it just won't work for me. I can't see any
difference in the package selection. All I get is "Hello you either have
Javascript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player"

This turns up all over the place on Google but I don't see anything about a
fix or problem specifically to do with Gutsy.

Can anybody say what's wrong please? It's not hugely important because I'm not
intending replace my old machine with this new one until Hardy is released,
but it would be nice to know what's wrong.

Thanks.

Dave

--
Registered Linux user number 393408