Thunderbird fires off MANY tabs in Firefox

Wulfy wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Dec 8 06:35:01 UTC 2007

Kelly L. Fulks wrote:
> Douglas Phillipson wrote:
>
>> When reading some emails in Thunderbird, Firefox fires up and loads
>> dozens of tabs with small pictures, that are present in the selected
>> email.  This is quite annoying and I can't seem to figure out how to
>> stop it.  Any suggestions?
>>
>> Doug P
>>

> I see this on occasion with https, but not with http links.  Upon
> investigation I discovered that network.protocol-handler.external.https
> was set to "true".  If it is set to false, then this doesn't happen.  I
> also noticed that a couple of my extensions tried to open their update
> location in firefox when this was set to true.  Unfortunately, if it is
> set to "false", I can't click on an https link that is included in an
> email and have it open in firefox either.
>
> I haven't found a complete solution, but at least I know what to change
> when to do what I need to do properly.  Actually, I usually just copy
> and paste the few https links that I get in email that I really want to see.

Add two new strings in Edit/Preferences/Advanced Config Editor:

network.protocol-handler.app.http firefox
network.protocol-handler.app.https firefox

set network.protocol-handler.external-* to false except
n.p-h.external-default

When you click on an http(s) link, it then fires up Firefox...  :@)

I hope this helps.

--