kubuntu 7.10 is really suks to install ! (al)

LLLActive at GMX.Net LLLActive at GMX.Net
Fri Dec 7 07:48:50 UTC 2007

Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 12/06/2007 LLLActive at GMX.Net wrote:
>
>> I am an OpenSUSE (KDE) user. I tried the new Kubuntu 7.10, because it is
>> said to be the best alternative for a Windows migration. I used the
>> download DVD offered on the Kubuntu website.
>>
>> It is really easy to install from the live environment, just click the
>> Install button on the Desktop. After the initial questions and a
>> partition resize of the existing OpenSUSE system, it installed without
>> any problem.
>>
>> At reboot, a nasty CLI menu appeared, with only Kubuntu available.
>>
>> OK, I rebooted with an OpenSUSE 10.3 install DVD and booted the
>> installed OpenSUSE 10.3 from there. I checked the menu.lst file and
>> added the Kubuntu boot partition into the OpenSUSE menu.lst file. I
>> rebuilt the MBR and now both systems are bootable from the original
>> OpenSUSE boot loader.
>>
>> Why does Kubuntu destroy the boot process of OpenSUSE?
>>

> I triple boot with three different hard drives. I have OpenSuSE 10.3, XP
> and Kubuntu 7.10. Kubuntu was the last OS installed. Normally I
> disconnect all the hard drives other than the one I want to use for the
> install. I didn't this time. Kubuntu set Grub up with both OpenSuSE and
> XP with no problems.

Thanks for the info Billie (and Martin). I will install a new system
next week or so with XP, OpenSUSE 10.3 and Kubuntu 7.10 tripple boot as
well. I will then advise the Windows converts to Kubuntu I have
cautioned thereafter.

:-)