SMB problem: mounting a share on gutsy

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:20:55 UTC 2007

David McGlone said the following at 12/05/2007 07:38 PM :

> Sorry, I had to forward to my laptop to get you my fstab so here ya go:
>
> //192.168.2.2/D /media/d cifs
> username=myusername,password=mypassword,uid=david,gid=david,auto,rw 0 0

Getting very close now, thank you very much.

So I now have:

//192.168.0.244/C   /hpxp/c  cifs
defaults,user,guest,uid=n7dr,username=N7DR 0 0

which works perfectly when I am root (yay!), but as an ordinary user I get:

[H:~] mount /hpxp/c
mount error: permission denied or not superuser and mount.cifs not
installed SUID

but when I look at mount.sbin, I see:

[H:~] ls -al /sbin/mount.cifs
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 25240 2007-11-16 14:31 /sbin/mount.cifs

As I understand it, the "s" in the attribute string means that the file
*is* installed SUID root.

So I am not at all sure why I can't mount the filesystem from an ordinary
account.

  Doc