kubuntu 7.10 is really suks to install ! (al)

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 11:31:21 UTC 2007

LLLActive at GMX.Net wrote:
> Christophe Guilbert wrote:
>> Just because we are not part of the Linux developers team does not means
>> that we can't share our experience and frustration. Linux is community
>> based for people to people. I am not the one who advertised and claimed
>> that nowadays , Linux in general and Kubuntu in particular are as easy
>> (if not easier) to install than window$.  Let's face it , X server  may
>> crash , openoffice crash if heavily used , material configuration may
>> not be easy to setup for scanner , wireless , webcam, ... just the fact
>> of selecting  a new screen resolution could be a pain in the past ....
>> Beginners may  lost  their envy to try free software when the install
>> does not run flawlessly  , the experiences Linux users like me may loose
>> their cool when you spend hours googling any info to write scripts to
>> make your materials working and start over again when you upgrade Linux.
>> Sure its my choice to install Linux and I love it because it is the most
>> reliable OS (once every thing works). However it is not perfect and one
>> should not be offended if some users complained about it and want to
>> share their experiences with others.
>> In a world without walls and fences,
>> who needs Windows and Gates?
>>        - Sun Microsystems
>>

> I am an OpenSUSE (KDE) user. I tried the new Kubuntu 7.10, because it is
> said to be the best alternative for a Windows migration. I used the
> download DVD offered on the Kubuntu website.
>
> It is really easy to install from the live environment, just click the
> Install button on the Desktop. After the initial questions and a
> partition resize of the existing OpenSUSE system, it installed without
> any problem.
>
> At reboot, a nasty CLI menu appeared, with only Kubuntu available.
>
> OK, I rebooted with an OpenSUSE 10.3 install DVD and booted the
> installed OpenSUSE 10.3 from there. I checked the menu.lst file and
> added the Kubuntu boot partition into the OpenSUSE menu.lst file. I
> rebuilt the MBR and now both systems are bootable from the original
> OpenSUSE boot loader.
>
> Why does Kubuntu destroy the boot process of OpenSUSE?
>
> What does Kubuntu do to a Windows PC, that should become a dual boot PC?
> I discouraged some Windows converts to not install Kubuntu yet, till
> this problem is gone. I do not want to repair all Windows PC's boot
> processes, just because the boot process does not provide the Windows
> boot alternative. I encourage all new PC buyers to create a dual boot
> system to have the legally purchased Windows bundle (an anti free market
> principle) for games and the limited applications Windows has on a bare
> system. I emphatically discourage pirate software; the reason I changed
> to Linux - to be free at last from the quagmire of illegality that 90%
> of Windows users who get programmes like MS Office from friends for the
> home PC. They should install a Linux distro to get all the other apps
> [...]
Clearly something went wrong during install. I have put Linux on several
Windows boxes, and I did put the 7.10 Kubuntu on a laptop a couple of
weeks ago for a client. No problems with either windows or Kubuntu - he
finds Kubuntu easier though...

Grub will normally find existing OS and create a dual-boot menu w/o any
problems - at least in my experience. I have read that Vista can be
tricky but I have not tried myself on a vista pc yet.

Sinclair