3 issues, please help me

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Dec 5 23:00:28 UTC 2007

deguz wrote:

> On 05/12/2007, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Respond inline and trim to what you need for context.
>
> Alright, i'm sorry for this. (I hope this kind of writing is ok, and i
> didn't misunderstand you. (I'm sorry, but my english is poor, so maybe
> i misunderstood you)

Your English is fine, and thanks for not top-posting :-)

>> If you right-click on the Network Manager icon in the system tray, does
>> it
>> show any wireless devices?  Under "Options", does it show wireless as
>> Enabled and Online?
>
> Yes it does show a wireless device. And in Options, it shows the wlan
> card as enabled.

I am running out of ideas - it really should be working.

>> What happens if you try "sudo ifup wlan0", "sudo ifconfig wlan0 up"
>> and "sudo dhclient wlan0"?
>
> sudo ifup wlan0
> Ignoring unknown interface wlan0=wlan0.

yeah, that's fine - it really _shouldn't_ do anything, because we removed
wlan0 from /etc/network/interfaces.

> After sudo ifconfig wlan0 up doesn't happen anything.

Right.

> sudo dhclient wlan0
> Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.5
> Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
> All rights reserved.
> For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
>
> Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:1a:73:9b:84:8c
> Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:1a:73:9b:84:8c
> Sending on   Socket/fallback
> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
> No DHCPOFFERS received.
> No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

Trust me, this is almost as infuriating for me as it is for you!

If you right click on Network Manager, and choose "Connect to other wireless
network", and then enter the essid of your router, what shows in your
syslog from NetworkManager (grep NetworkManager /var/log/syslog)
--
derek