unwanted removal of nvidia

nepal nepal.roade at virgin.net
Wed Dec 5 21:42:25 UTC 2007

I'm using gutsy fully updated.

I tried to install one of the nvidia tools, nvidia-settings
yesterday to tweak/check my nvidia setup. After installing
and rebooting I lost X. startx/kde would not work. I
remembered when installing the above a quick message
of "removing nvidia-glx" or something close. So I ran
aptitude and (finally) managed to re install the nvidia-glx
package and now the desktop is back, up and running.

My question is WHY? Why on earth would the software tools
allow something fundamental like screen/display drivers to
be removed leaving a broken system?

As daft as the above seems (to me) this is my first foray
into trying Kubuntu and I'm really really happy with it.

nepal.