CUPS-PDF

Janne Vänttinen janne.vanttinen at cs.helsinki.fi
Wed Dec 5 08:54:01 UTC 2007

Janne Vänttinen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a problem with cups-pdf in Gutsy. I have set output dir to
> %USER/Desktop. Printing seems to work, but no file appears. cups-pdf_log
> says
>
> [ERROR] failed to set file mode for PDF file (non fatal)
> (/home/<user>/Desktop/<document>.pdf)
>
> <user> and <document> are names of the user and the document, of course.
> Obviously there is a problem with creating files, but I can't understand
> what it is. Can anyone help me?

Having now tested this more, I found that cups-pdf prints nicely to the
default "PDF" directory under the home directory, when it is set to
print there. However, no other directory seems to do! When I tried to
set output directory to "PDFPrinter", printing failed with log entries

Wed Dec  5 08:40:35 2007  [ERROR] failed to create directory
(/home/<user>/PDFPrinter)
Wed Dec  5 08:40:35 2007  [ERROR] failed to create user output directory
(/home/<user>/PDFPrinter)

So cups-pdf can only create directory "/home/<user>/PDF" and create
files there. Nothing else works.

Honestly, I have no idea why this is. Is it a bug or am I just missing
something obvious?

--
- Janne Vänttinen