kubuntu 7.10 is really suks to install !

Christophe Guilbert cguilbert at picasso.ucsf.edu
Wed Dec 5 00:58:49 UTC 2007

Hi guys

Sorry about the nasty subject title , but I am wondering how people
could let Kubuntu 7.10 out.
I am a big fan of Linux for more than 10 years now, I have Kubuntu
install on every single PC and laptop  I own (6 PCs + 2 laptops).  I
definitely dropped window$ 2 years ago in favor of Kubuntu and linux as
the only OS,  so don't get me wrong I am talking about Kubuntu like if
it was my son !!!! I love it and use Kubuntu (6.06) all day long at work.
I recently spent hours with my friend abroad advocating Kubuntu, he told
me he tried Kubuntu 7.10 for several day without success and swear that
he will  never ever try Linux again ....
Being upset by his behavior, I decided to give it a try myself .
I decided to upgrade kubuntu 7.04  to 7.10  using the adept automatic
tools  ... well the upgrade screwed up every things but somehow, I was
prepared for that , so I decided to do a fresh new install. download the
DVD and check if packages was burned right.

I installed it 10 times , I could not start adept to install/update my
package , adept was crashing all the time ... than a few googling
showed me that this was a known problem, so I did what was recommended
and I was finally able to update install/ soft , than I decided to
change the IP address for a fix one, I could not have the routes IP
change using system setting tools  !!! so I decided to reboot,
unfortunately , I was stuck  by kubuntu trying to check one of my
partition with no sign that the computer was doing anything. I typed
ctr-alt-del to reboot, but instead of rebooting I go the the X menu.
 From them  , if I write my login and passwd , KDE start but abort soon
after (forget the message). I tried to log with the login console link
to check what's going on ... and  X restarted instead of giving me the
login console.

Well that's a mess !!! I am wondering what ubuntu/kunbutu team are not
distributing a new corrected install CD right away, like the 6.06.1 in
the past. This make a lots of damage for people who are willing to try
linux.
They should be a warning in the download page about issues you may
encounter when installing 7.10 , especially bugs that could destroy you
laptop's HD. Something that you can read before downloading the Cds or
DVD so you don't have to learn it the hard way.

That's all , hope I did not offended anyone , again when you like
something, you are critical

long life to Kunbutu ;-)

Chris