KDE 3.5 > KDE 4

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 22:48:47 UTC 2007

On 02/12/2007, Ron Wilson <ronw at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>  It amazes me that anyone would expect people to wade through the question everytime before they can read the answer. Especially when you
>  can get a dozen or so answers to a question and you want to follow different answers so you have to scroll down the message every time. I just want to read the answer. If I cannot
>  remember thread I can always go back and look
>  Just imagine if we had verbal discussions like this where each speaker has to repeat the questions before they give the answer.

In that case, Ron, you can not quote at all. I often do not quote if
I'm not replying to a specific question or comment.

As to the note about repeating the question before answering, that is
a rather good method of being certain that you are (or are not,
depending on what you want to accomplish) answering exactly what was
asked. In any case, if the question were to be repeated (ie, the text
quoted) then it would logically be _before_ the  answer, not after.

Another note, you specifically post in HTML. The Kubuntu list is
rather tolerant of HTML, top posting, and attachments, but there are
lists that would ban you right away for posting in HTML. Furthermore,
often the most helpful list members are the more experienced list
members, those that have been using mailing lists since HTML was
absolutely forbidden. Those most helpful of list members are the most
likely to filter HTML mail. Maybe not on this lenient list, but on
other lists (Fedora, Gentoo, PHP, to name a few).

I personally don't care one way or the other, but I do my best to
promote best practices. In any case, I'm not sore at you and don't
regard this as a flame. I'm just trying to help.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.