connection failing

kk karlok at fastmail.fm
Sun Dec 2 22:14:56 UTC 2007

nepal wrote:
> On Sunday 02 December 2007, Karl wrote:
>> nepal wrote:
>>> I have a new installation of 7.10.
>>>
>>> I can run a browser and browse the internet.
>>>
>>> If I run the install programs manager and it tries to
>>> make a connection to a mirror, the connection just
>>> fails every time I try. I have had problems with other
>>> linux distros and avahi (someone on another list told
>>> me of a problem with this and some modem/routers which
>>> includes the netgear dg632. The problem lay in names
>>> not being translated into correct IP addresses ).
>>>
>>> Does anyone understand what I'm talking about and can
>>> help me fix this please?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> nepal.
>> Since you can browse the web I doubt that the problem is
>> name resolution.  Try installing a package with the
>> command "sudo apt-get install ??" where ?? is the name of
>> the package, and post the output to the list.
>>
>> Karl
>
> I have tried what you suggest and below is the terminal
> output
> =====================================
> nepal at nepal-kub:~$ sudo apt-get install knowit
> [sudo] password for nepal:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following NEW packages will be installed
>   knowit
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 39 not
> upgraded.
> Need to get 156kB of archives.
> After unpacking 623kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Err http://ubuntu.virginmedia.com gutsy/universe knowit
> 0.10-0ubuntu1
>   Could not connect to ubuntu.virginmedia.com:80
> (1.0.0.0). - connect
> (101 Network is unreachable)
> Failed to fetch
> http://ubuntu.virginmedia.com/archive/pool/universe/k/knowit/knowit_0.10-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
>  Could not connect to ubuntu.virginmedia.com:80 (1.0.0.0). -
> connect
> (101 Network is unreachable)
> E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update
> or try with
> --fix-missing?
> nepal at nepal-kub:~$
> ===========================
>
> nepal

With a google search I found that there have been compatibility problems
  between your modem/router and IPv6.  The solution is to disable IPv6.
  To do so, edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.  Comment out one line
and add two lines like this:

# alias net-pf-10 ipv6
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

Then reboot.

I have tried this on my machine and it doesn't seem to have done any harm.

hth
Karl