Setup woes

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Dec 2 08:24:03 UTC 2007

Bill Vance wrote:
> On Sat Dec  1 00:18:39 2007 Bill Vance wrote:
> >Ok, starting up the 7.04 system installed, sorta crashes, (not
> > completely), with the following error message(s).  There's a lot more
> > afterwards, but one thing at a time, (this isn't the only faulty
> > partition, but is the one fsck is dying on so far.
> >

> >/var: Reisrfs super block in block 16  on 0x805 of format 3.6 with
> > standard journal
> >Blocks (total/free): 2640672/2517442 by 4096 bytes
> >Filesystem is clean
> >Failed to open the device 'UUID=96e20c1e-6919-4621-ad05-ff7074387447':
> > No such
>
> OOPS!  That last line should end with, "No such file or directory".
> More on this problem, see below.

It seems the script which starts the fsck program can't find the device
with the UUID mentioned above. Please check your /etc/fstab what device
should be using that UUID and compare it with the output of

vol_id devicename

where you replace "devicename" with the appropriate name (/dev/something)
from the fstab line for your UUID.

> >/var: Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x805 of format 3.6 with
> > standard journal
> >Blocks (total/free): 2640672/2517442 by 4096 bytes
> >Filesystem is clean
> >fsck died with exit status 0
> >  ...fail!
> >* File system check failed
> >A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is
> > writable. Please repair the file system manually.
> >

> >And then doesn't give the slightest clue as to how to do that.

You would have to run fsck manually for the device with errors, but it may
not be mounted rw when you run fsck.

> Well, I found something that just might be the source of this and
> several other problems, not to mention my current wailling and gnashing
> of teeth.  A file no-ones mentioned yet, "/var/log/fsck/checkroot",
> says that, "/", is mounted read only.  Thats a new one on me, but
> considering the system wide implications, and before I do anything too
> stupid, is there an optimal way of dealling with this?  Umount/mount
> from the boot shell?  Other options?

If your "/" file system is mounted ro, the system can't work properly. You
could check that in a terminal with the command "mount". If it is still
mounted ro, you can run the command

sudo fsck devicename

where you replace the devicename for your "/" file system. If it is
mounted rw, I would suggest to boot from a live CD and do the fsck for
all partitions except swap partitions from there without mounting any
disks. I think it can be done from the recovery mode, but I can't tell
you how to do that.

Nils