KDE 3.5 > KDE 4

Andrew Jarrett jarrett.andrew at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 04:35:16 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 11:15 PM, Howard Coles Jr. <dhcolesj at gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I've read in various places, KDE4 is not as good as, nor as stable
> as 3.5.8.  If I remember right one of the developers has acknowledged that
> this is so, and that it will "spur development for the next release" if I
> remember what he said right.  Kind of makes me wonder why I would want
> to "downgrade" to a newer version and get less of a system.  That would be
> like going from XP to Vista if I were a Windoze user.

Well, of course 3.5.8 is more stable than 4rc1.  KDE 4rc1 is a
development version not meant to be used by the public yet.  Its full
of bugs that need to be removed and still needs features to be added
before it is released to the general public.  Its also expected that
the final release of 4.0 will be less stable than 3.5.8 because _all_
newer software has not aged enough for the developers to find and fix
all the inevitable bugs.  However, most developers will start moving
the bulk of their efforts to developing for KDE4 when it is released
and 3.5.8 will soon be left in the dust -- unlike Microsoft's
situation...

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2