OT: Wengo/Skype/Gizmo/etc ... why?

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 19:28:00 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 29 August 2007 04:35:16 pm Paul Lemmons wrote:
> For those of you that use the SIP or Skype services this may be a stupid
> question. But why? Using any number of instant messaging clients I can
> talk to another person using that same client.
>
> I am about to send my daughter overseas for a semester (Oxford) and she
> is accustomed to many of the usual IM clients. I am wrestling with what
> the best solution will be. She uses Windows XP and I use Kubuntu so it
> will need to be cross platform. Do I use an IM client or have her go
> through the learning curve of putting on Skype/SIP?
>
> I am absolutely sure I am missing some glaring difference between the
> two services. Clearly I have never used either to any significant extent
> so if this is a *really* stupid question please be kind :)

If you don't appreciate the difference between reading text and actually
talking to the people you love, or care about, then no amount of explanation
in this email will do.

However, if you do, then:
If you had ever been far away from home, being in the Military, or on some
other venture, you'd appreciate every form of communication you could get.  I
remember in Germany calling my Mom and telling here to send me some mail!  We
didn't have the luxury of IM clients, or even computers for that matter.

Anyway, as much as I enjoy getting an email, or an Instant message from some
folks, I like talking to them even better.

I can absolutely guarantee with all that I am your daughter will want to hear
your voice, and her mother's voice as often as possible.   And, VOIP calls
like with skype, or other services are cheaper, if you are already paying for
inet access anyway.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.