WengoPhone vs. Skype

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 29 16:45:59 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 August 2007, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>Brad De Vries wrote:
>>> On 8/28/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>At least you can escalate.  I'm stuck with a damn satellite ISP that
>>refuses to ever let me talk to anybody above them.
>
> That sucks, at least I can vent my frustration on a super.
>
> [...]
>
>>Anyway, if that works, fetchmail can retrieve the junkmail.
>
> Sample fetchmail line to access that sub-folder?  Here is what is working
> now for the main one, obfuscated of course.
>
> poll MAILBOX.verizon.net with proto pop3
>         user MMMMMMM with password NNNNNNN is PPPPPPP
>
> I'd assume a \backslash\something-or-other appended to the FQDN address
> since their system is winderz, but me not a winderz user either, so I'm in
> the dark too.

No, it can't be done with pop3 - POP3 doesn't understand folders.

This is one I used for an IMAP server that was automatically putting mail in
a junk folder.

poll host.com with proto imap:
       user derek
       folder inbox,INBOX.spam

It's often difficult to know exactly what the folder name is but a little
playing around with using KMail directly to the IMAP server usually helps.
I can't access any IMAP servers except the one on my laptop from where I am
right now, so I can't tell you exactly what you would see.  First, I'd just
see if I could set up an account in KMail to access your vz mail via IMAP.
If that works, finding the folder should be easy.  fwiw, the fact that
there's webmail with folders practically guarantees that there's an IMAP
server, but they may only allow access to it from the host that runs the
webmail.
--
derek