WengoPhone vs. Skype

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Aug 29 14:17:45 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 29 August 2007, Brad De Vries wrote:
>On 8/28/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> >
>> >Gene, I've see you and others suggesting that your ISP is filtering
>> >your e-mail.  Why not just setup a free web-based e-mail account
>> >through gmail or yahoomail and register from there?  I would also
>> >recommend that you look into any spam folder that is used by your ISP.
>> >
>> >Brad.
>>
>> You pulled my trigger Brad, sorry...
>
>I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing but I really don't like
>the sound of "Brad pulled Gene's trigger."  :-)

I have a legendarily short fuse when dealing with the incompetents reading
their windows-centric checklists at vz.  These folks wouldn't know what a dns
server is if it bit them.

>> The spam folder at vz had damned well better be empty, or I will call them
>> up and read them about 5 minutes worth of my non-repeating vocabulary of
>> unprintable words.  vz and I have had several discussions that have at
>> times involved the genetic history of the supervisor I usually escalate
>> the call to.  I usually escalate the call till I get someone who actually
>> speaks english.
>
>It sounds like you're a bit unhappy with vz.  Have you considered a
>different ISP?

The 'bit' is an understatement.  This is the US, and rural at that, the telco
is an FCC mandated monopoly, and if you want dsl speeds, you deal with vz, or
pay $100+ a month for similar service from the cable tv folks.  Everything
else is dialup.

>Also, on a personal note, I find it rarely helps your
>cause or your standing to use "non-repeating vocabulary or unprintable
>words" or to get personally abusive towards others.  I do, however,
>encourage the escalation method if you're not satisfied with the
>results your getting.

I find it gets their attention so it will escalate. And I have collected quite
a few of those in my 72 years.  Otherwise there's often 'not a supervisor on
duty ATM, call back later'.  Like they are not aware that its at least 5
minutes worth of button pushing on your phone just to get to a human?

>> Three times I've set it so their idea of spam goes straight to the bit
>> bucket otherwise my 10 meg mailbox is full in a day or less.  And twice
>> some moron saw that and figured I'd made a mistake & reset it to save it
>> in the junkmail folder.  I guess they think everybody uses webmail, which
>> is to me one of the bigger PITA's that M$ ever came up with, bar none.
>
>Don't you just love choices.  What works poorly for some may very well
>be a perfect solution for others.

The Joe "Sheeple" Sixpacks.

>> I use fetchmail, then procmail and spamassassin for all incoming mail,
>> sorted to mailing list folders here in kmail, but I haven't figured out
>> how to tell fetchmail to suck the vz junkmail folder.  If I could, I'd
>> reset it to save the trash & I'd sort it all here.  As it is, I sort 7
>> stars and up to /dev/null myself.  That leaves about 7 or 8 msgs a day
>> that sneak through & get fed to sa-learn every other day or so. 250 to 400
>> a week I never see, or waste drive space to store, whats the point?
>
>I've setup my wife's account to use a very similar process.  She also
>has a gmail account and I've setup our server to pull with fetchmail,
>deliver to procmail, and route through sa.  (Shameless plug for gmail
>that provides POP3 and SMTP access on their free e-mail system.)  It
>doesn't work as well for me because I'm on the road more and it's very
>convenient to retrieve my personal e-mail from a client's PC that has
>Internet access or via hotel Internet access.  I rarely connect my
>work-required Windows laptop  to a client's network for fear of
>viruses, etc.

Yeah, I have a lappy with xp on it, it autoboots to Fedora 7. :)  But when I'm
on the road, I just disable fetchmail here, and let the same scripts on the
lappy do it instead.

>The other advantage to something like gmail is that when I change
>ISPs, I don't have to change e-mail addresses.

I've had to resubscribe to a couple of my lists through gmail cuz vz decided
that a list like lkml just has to be spam just because its so busy.  Yeah, I
could add them to my personal whitelist, which they lose when their winderz
boxes get a virus and they re-image it.  Why bother, its way too much like
teaching pigs to sing, you can't move corporate vz policy anyway.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)