WengoPhone vs. Skype

Brad De Vries devriesbj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:53:00 BST 2007

On 8/28/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 August 2007, Brad De Vries wrote:
> >On 8/28/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> >> And ekiga is another that I was never able to register, presumably because
> >> theres no US support, or verizon filtered the message to /dev/null.  Since
> >> its competition to their landline service, that little tidbit wouldn't
> >> surprise me a bit, they can be such asses, but the commish looks the other
> >> way when such actions really should be cause for them to lose their common
> >> carrier status.
> >
> >Gene, I've see you and others suggesting that your ISP is filtering
> >your e-mail.  Why not just setup a free web-based e-mail account
> >through gmail or yahoomail and register from there?  I would also
> >recommend that you look into any spam folder that is used by your ISP.
> >
> >Brad.
>
> You pulled my trigger Brad, sorry...

I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing but I really don't like
the sound of "Brad pulled Gene's trigger."  :-)

> The spam folder at vz had damned well better be empty, or I will call them up
> and read them about 5 minutes worth of my non-repeating vocabulary of
> unprintable words.  vz and I have had several discussions that have at times
> involved the genetic history of the supervisor I usually escalate the call
> to.  I usually escalate the call till I get someone who actually speaks
> english.

It sounds like you're a bit unhappy with vz.  Have you considered a
different ISP?  Also, on a personal note, I find it rarely helps your
cause or your standing to use "non-repeating vocabulary or unprintable
words" or to get personally abusive towards others.  I do, however,
encourage the escalation method if you're not satisfied with the
results your getting.

> Three times I've set it so their idea of spam goes straight to the bit bucket
> otherwise my 10 meg mailbox is full in a day or less.  And twice some moron
> saw that and figured I'd made a mistake & reset it to save it in the junkmail
> folder.  I guess they think everybody uses webmail, which is to me one of the
> bigger PITA's that M$ ever came up with, bar none.

Don't you just love choices.  What works poorly for some may very well
be a perfect solution for others.

> I use fetchmail, then procmail and spamassassin for all incoming mail, sorted
> to mailing list folders here in kmail, but I haven't figured out how to tell
> fetchmail to suck the vz junkmail folder.  If I could, I'd reset it to save
> the trash & I'd sort it all here.  As it is, I sort 7 stars and up
> to /dev/null myself.  That leaves about 7 or 8 msgs a day that sneak through
> & get fed to sa-learn every other day or so. 250 to 400 a week I never see,
> or waste drive space to store, whats the point?

I've setup my wife's account to use a very similar process.  She also
has a gmail account and I've setup our server to pull with fetchmail,
deliver to procmail, and route through sa.  (Shameless plug for gmail
that provides POP3 and SMTP access on their free e-mail system.)  It
doesn't work as well for me because I'm on the road more and it's very
convenient to retrieve my personal e-mail from a client's PC that has
Internet access or via hotel Internet access.  I rarely connect my
work-required Windows laptop  to a client's network for fear of
viruses, etc.

The other advantage to something like gmail is that when I change
ISPs, I don't have to change e-mail addresses.

Brad.