WengoPhone vs. Skype

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Aug 29 04:17:14 BST 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007, Brad De Vries wrote:
>On 8/28/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> And ekiga is another that I was never able to register, presumably because
>> theres no US support, or verizon filtered the message to /dev/null.  Since
>> its competition to their landline service, that little tidbit wouldn't
>> surprise me a bit, they can be such asses, but the commish looks the other
>> way when such actions really should be cause for them to lose their common
>> carrier status.
>Gene, I've see you and others suggesting that your ISP is filtering
>your e-mail.  Why not just setup a free web-based e-mail account
>through gmail or yahoomail and register from there?  I would also
>recommend that you look into any spam folder that is used by your ISP.

You pulled my trigger Brad, sorry...

The spam folder at vz had damned well better be empty, or I will call them up
and read them about 5 minutes worth of my non-repeating vocabulary of
unprintable words.  vz and I have had several discussions that have at times
involved the genetic history of the supervisor I usually escalate the call
to.  I usually escalate the call till I get someone who actually speaks

Three times I've set it so their idea of spam goes straight to the bit bucket
otherwise my 10 meg mailbox is full in a day or less.  And twice some moron
saw that and figured I'd made a mistake & reset it to save it in the junkmail
folder.  I guess they think everybody uses webmail, which is to me one of the
bigger PITA's that M$ ever came up with, bar none.

I use fetchmail, then procmail and spamassassin for all incoming mail, sorted
to mailing list folders here in kmail, but I haven't figured out how to tell
fetchmail to suck the vz junkmail folder.  If I could, I'd reset it to save
the trash & I'd sort it all here.  As it is, I sort 7 stars and up
to /dev/null myself.  That leaves about 7 or 8 msgs a day that sneak through
& get fed to sa-learn every other day or so. 250 to 400 a week I never see,
or waste drive space to store, whats the point?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If you took all the students that felt asleep in class and laid them end to
end, they'd be a lot more comfortable.
		-- "Graffiti in the Big Ten"