WengoPhone vs. Skype

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Aug 27 20:47:46 UTC 2007

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday 27 August 2007, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Many thanks for the tip on gizmo, I finally have an alternative to
> > > the skype spyware.
> > Why do you think skype is spyware?
>
> from: http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/08/26/1312256.shtml

Well, I'm not a friend of skype -- and I can't accept their EULA. Anyway,
I am curious and I expected there was some real news about spyware in
skype somewhere.  However, this looks more like paranoia to me. There are
reasonable explanations for reading /etc/passwd given in the slashdot
thread. If skype was spyware, I would think it would be mentioned here
<http://www.secdev.org/conf/skype_BHEU06.handout.pdf>. OTOH that one is
more than 1 year old.

Nils