kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 31, Issue 88

Terence Simpson stdin at stdin.me.uk
Mon Aug 27 19:02:35 UTC 2007

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Jordi Ferrando Fabra wrote:
>
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> You need the codecs. You can easilly install them with automatix2
>> http://www.getautomatix.com, but the purists in the list will blast me
>> for using automatix and will tell you to read some documentation about
>> ubuntu restricted formats.
>>

> But before you install automatix, please read this:
> <http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html>
>

> Nils

Sure, install it if you want after reading that. But realise also that
we do not endorse or support that piece of software, if you have trouble
with it then you'll have to ask on the automatix forums.

I don't discourage the use of that software just because that's what
others have said, or just because the code is low quality. But because I
have tried fixing several systems that automatix has messed up and the
solution, in almost all those situations, was to preform a complete
reinstall of the system.

Use it if you wish, but understand the risks and effort it may entail to
keep your system working in the future.

To point you in the right direction, take a look at this link:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/WindowsCodecs>

Terence