App to auto turn off computer if idle for length of time

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 03:55:06 UTC 2007

On Sunday 26 August 2007 01:37:51 pm dave selby wrote:
> On 26/08/07, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> > dave selby wrote:
> > > Is there an app or script that does a 'shutdown -h now' when my
> > > computer has been idle for say an hour or so (trying to save the
> > > planet !)
> >
> > By default, the guidance power manager is installed (on laptops, anyway -
> > perhaps the installer's smart enough to skip it for desktops), and will
> > put a battery icon in the system tray.
> >
> > Just double click on that,  the second option is "When the system is idle
> > for more than ...".  Choose a time and choose to suspend, hibernate or
> > shut down.
> >
> > If, in fact, it's not installed on your system, just use:
> >
> > # sudo aptitude install kde-guidance-powermanager
> > --
> > derek
>
> Thanks for the suggestion ... unfortunately the app seems pretty smart
> & realises I am a desktop machine - removing the option !
>
> But it was a good idea :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

I'm having a hard time figuring out what difference it makes that you are not
on a server?  I mean, so what if it realizes you are on a desktop machine?
It'll still shut down your PC when its idle for a specific amount of time.

Mine does, or did, until I turned that feature off.

It may be the CPU and its capabilities that hamper your desired affect.  Also,
the version of Guidance Power Manager that comes with versions prior to
Feisty were not all that good, so try kpowersave, or powernow, or something
along those lines if you have Dapper, or previous versions of Kubuntu
installed.

One of the Options I have for lid closure is "Shutdown" which works real well.
You wont have that on a desktop PC, but you will should still have the "Mains
Powered" options of "Do Nothing" "Power Down" etc.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.