Laptop question

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Aug 26 15:18:07 UTC 2007

Art Alexion wrote:

> On Sunday 19 August 2007 14:37:38 Derek Broughton wrote:
>>  I bought an $18 SMC pcmcia wireless card which works just as well, using
>> ndiswrapper, as the ipw ever did.
>
> Model?  I've been going nuts trying to get a pcmcia wireless card to work
> on a compaq with feisty.

I find model names to be highly unreliable - manufacturers often put out
devices with the same model names and completely different chipsets (or,
like Linksys's WRT54G routers, even with different OS's).  More to the
point, this one is devoid of obvious branding :-)

lspci & hal call it a "Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface"
ndiswrapper calls it a "tnet1130"

I _believe_ it's the same chipset as my wife's D-Link DWL650, but I've never
gotten around to plugging that in to see if it works as-is.

Note, there is actually a native linux acx driver, but I found it
unreliable. In fact, ndiswrapper lists it as "alternate driver", and I'm
not sure enough about ndiswrapper to understand whether this is actually
what's being used, as opposed to the tnet1130 installed via ndiswrapper.
--
derek