External NTFS USB drive automount

Phil Pinkerton pcpinkerton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 12:25:52 UTC 2007

On 8/25/07, Stew Schneider <stew.schneider at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kubuntu Feisty. I've got a SimpleTech 80G USB drive formatted as NTFS
> that won't automount. I'd like some suggestions.
>
> I followed the directions at
>
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/widows-ntfs-partitions-readwrite-support-made-easy-in-ubuntu-feisty.html
> and installed ntfs-config. Running it from either Gnome or KDE skips the
> "The following new partitions were detected and can be configured"
> dialog and goes directly to the "Enable Write support" dialog. Of
> course, with no mountpoint specified, no mounting gets done.
>
> If I manually alter fstab, I can mount it, but it is accessible only to
> root, and read only. I can, however, copy the contents to my desktop as
> root.
>
> Googling for an answer, I found:
> > NTFS-config is a fat useless beast, which does a very simple thing and
> > for that it needs to install a sheetload of gnome dependencies. Nobody
> > needs it (not even Gnome users- only Ubuntu newbies may wrongly think
> > they need it because it's "simple" and "idiotproof"), removable NTFS
> > volumes can be initialized much easier:
> > CODE
> > sudo touch /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-ntfs-policy.fdi
> > sudo nano /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-ntfs-policy.fdi
> >

> > Now copypaste to nano ( shift+insert) the following mumbojumbo:
> >
> > CODE
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <deviceinfo version="0.2">
> > <!-- mount ntfs volume with the ntfs-3g driver to enable write support
> -->
> >     <device>
> >         <match key="volume.fstype" string="ntfs">
> >             <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable"
> > bool="true">
> >                 <merge key="volume.fstype" type="string">ntfs-3g</merge>
> >                 <merge key="volume.policy.mount_filesystem"
> > type="string">ntfs-3g</merge>
> >                 <append key="volume.mount.valid_options"
> > type="strlist">locale=</append>
> >             </match>
> >         </match>
> >     </device>
> > </deviceinfo>
> >
> I tried that, restarting hal with /etc/init.d/dbus restart, but the
> result was the same -- the device won't automount.
>
> It is visible as /dev/sdb and fdisk indicates that it is HPFS/NTFS
> formatted. A MacBook laying around here correctly mounts it as a NTFS
> file system
>
> What am I missing?
>
> stew

The ussue is not limited to NTFS..

For some time now my external USB (linux-ext3) has not been auto detected at
boot.

My workaround has been to power cycle the external USB drive, then I get the
pop-up window asking me what I want to do and I open in another window then
just close the window.  After that doing a dh shows the disk is mounted as
per the "fstab" layout.

There was a time when it mounted at boot that is why the "fstab" is already
configured.

Phil