OOo 2.2 Spreadsheet Slooowww

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 07:49:42 UTC 2007

Rick Knight wrote:
> I use OpenOffice.org Calc to import and export data in my online store.
> I've used OOo on Kubuntu since Kubuntu 5.x. OOo has always performed
> well enough for me. I'm now using Kubuntu Feisty 7.04 with OOo 2.2. Calc
> or Spreadsheet as it's called now, is so slow it's nearly unusable. Not
> just starting and opening the spreadsheets, but also moving around,
> editing , sorting. All the basic spreadsheet functions are so slow it's
> nearly useless. Can someone tell me how to speed things up? Can I down
> grade OpenOffice.org to 2.0?
 From Matt Hartley newsletter Linux Fanatics (and he runs Ubuntu though
6.10 I believe):

Open Office - Making It Start Faster!

therefore this may be a short post. Alright, let’s get on with it.
Open up Write or Calc.
Goto Tools, then Options.
Locate the setting on the left called ‘Memory’. Then on the right, check
to make sure that the following are in place.
Number of steps is set to 20.
Graphics Cache for Open Office is set to 128 MB.
Memory per object is set to 20.0 MB.
Enable systray quickstarter is check-marked.
 From here, simply hit OK and restart the program. From this point on,
the applications of the Open Office suite will run MUCH faster at
start-up. ;)

It did help me,
Sinclair