Kubuntu Dapper pppd vs Win VPN

manchicken manchicken at notsosoft.net
Mon Aug 20 14:25:54 UTC 2007

On Monday 20 August 2007 09:08:23 Donn Ingle wrote:
> > What I do when I have to set up a VPN like this, is I make sure I can
> > ping my gateway--most important--and then make sure I set up all
> > appropriate routes.
>
> I can actually ping all the relevant numbers. I can even get a web
> page (the local apache) from the pptp server!
>
> > As far as the catch-22, it's pretty simple to go to the repositories and
> > download the .deb packages from there, and then stick them on a thumb
> > drive for sneaker-net transfer.
>
> I am on Winders now fetching the source from the project's home page.
> How would I go aboout fetching debs (and all deps) from the repos? I
> always find matching the versions and deps and cpus to be a real
> chore.
>
> > Also, have you tried using one of those DSL routers from Linksys or
> > Netgear?
>
> That is my very next stop actually. I am getting so damn fed-up with
> this situation.
>
> Well, thanks for the suggestions. I will hack-on with that kvpnc and
> see where it gets me.
>
> /d

To fetch debs from repos you want to go to archive.ubuntu.com and find it
there.  I'll save you some trouble and give you a link to the directory where
you can find the files.

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/k/kvpnc/

Make sure you grab the appropriate binary for your architecture.

As far as routers go, it's kinda stupid that ISPs don't provide you with
equipment to get on the network.  I know AT&T/Yahoo DSL seems to require many
of its users to run their software on their windows machines in order to
access their connection.  I suppose that's just a side effect of how they do
things though.

Good luck :)

--
~ manchicken <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.