Laptop question

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 00:19:24 UTC 2007

On Sunday 19 August 2007 09:42:43 am Nigel Ridley wrote:
> A local shop is offering older model Dell laptops for half the price of the
> newer models. Amongst the ones on offer is a Dell D600 with an ATI Mobility
> Radeon 32MB and a 30GB hard drive. Intel Pentium M - CPU Core: Banias 130nm
> @ 1.4GHz
>
> Questions:
> 1. Would any of you folks buy a brand new 3 year old laptop with a one year
> warranty (for half the price of one of the latest models)?
> 2. Any foreseeable problems running the latest and greatest Kubuntu on it?
>
> TIA
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Well, there is a reason its still on the shelf.  That model is about 3 - 4
years old.  I'd say half the price of a current NEW laptop of similar config
is still a little high.  If they're willing to cover it for a year, it might
be worth the price.

Not only this but if it has wireless inside its probably the Broadcom no work
with Linux version.  Other than that, Linux ran just fine on it.  We used
those very models at the place I used to work, and I wasn't that fond of
them.  I think it had more to do with the crappy resolution and 16MB video
card part than anything else.   I had a habit of resizing the partitions and
installing Linux, come to think of it, I still do.  :-D  For the Wireless
card I ran ndiswrapper without any major problems, so that should cover you
there.   Also they get VERY hot underneath, so have something between your
lap and the laptop!!

Oh, I'm writing this on a dell E1705, so they're not all bad.   The best
laptop I had experience with to date was the c640 I ran for 3 years with no
problems.  I complained when they made me give it up for the D600.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.