Laptop question

Rod Joyce werepenguin at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 19 15:21:41 UTC 2007

On Sunday 19 August 2007 15:42:43 Nigel Ridley wrote:
> A local shop is offering older model Dell laptops for half the price of the
> newer models. Amongst the ones on offer is a Dell D600 with an ATI Mobility
> Radeon 32MB and a 30GB hard drive. Intel Pentium M - CPU Core: Banias 130nm
> @ 1.4GHz
>
> Questions:
> 1. Would any of you folks buy a brand new 3 year old laptop with a one year
> warranty (for half the price of one of the latest models)?
> 2. Any foreseeable problems running the latest and greatest Kubuntu on it?
>
> TIA
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel
>
> --
> OliveRoot Ministries
> http://www.oliveroot.net/
>
> PrayingForIsrael.net
> http://www.prayingforisrael.net/
Nigel
You are a lucky man to have such a nice local shop. I don't know about Dell
laptops as such, but ...
The company I work for is an all Dell shop.  Unfortunately, we have to use Win
XP (at least until I win the lottery and buy the company). However our
techie, who has Linux as well as M$ qualifications and experience,  has tried
almost every Linux distro known to man on our machines and says they've all
run faultlessly.  Kubuntu Feisty runs on our Dell Dimension 4100 (made in
2000) which has been upgraded from 128MB RAM to 512, and from a 5400rpm 20GB
disk to a 7200 80gig one, but has the original PIII processor and
mainboard  - it takes forever to boot but is quite fast when running.

Rod