VI arrow keys behaviour

Peter Lewis prlewis at letterboxes.org
Thu Aug 16 17:23:02 UTC 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007 at 16:46:39 Paul Lemmons wrote:
> Paul Varjak wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > When I'm editing a file with vi under ubuntu 7.04 and I'm in insert
> > mode, if I try to move around with the arrow keys before pressing
> > ESCAPE every press of an arrow key makes appear a strange char into my
> > file.
> >
> > Is there a way to avoid this? I've used VI for years in many linux
> > distributions and commercial Unix and this never happened before.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Salva.
>
> I don't normally do "Me Too" posts but this particular problem drives me
> crazy. I use it within Konsole on a standard install on a laptop. If
> anyone has solved this I would love to hear of it.

I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid, but it sounds like there's a
mismatch between the keyboard / character code which konsole is sending and
which vi is receiving. Does it make a difference if you change the encoding?
(Right button on the konsole, settings, encoding...) Also, you might be able
to fiddle with encodings in the X / KDE input configuration.

HTH and good luck.

Pete.