install gparted leads to "Permission denied" errors, halting boot. - Solved

Anton Rolls anton at wilddsl.net.au
Thu Aug 16 07:18:49 UTC 2007

I solved it.

An extra entry was added to /etc/fstab (probably by gparted),
which specified sda4 mounted on /.
That would have overridden the mount point with the OS on it!
(I think).
So I think kubuntu was able to boot until /etc/fstab
was processed, at which stage the bootable filesystem
became inaccessible.

I was able to boot into Kubuntu using the live install cd,
mount the os filesystem, chroot into it, then edit the
/etc/fstab file, commenting the last entry.

Regards,

Anton.