ATI 8.40.4 driver and Googleearth

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 16 01:31:06 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 15 August 2007 08:52:03 pm David McGlone wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 August 2007 6:16:58 am Larry Hartman wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 August 2007 09:16:26 pm David McGlone wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 14 August 2007 7:44:48 pm Larry Hartman wrote:
> >
> > My GE froze on initialization after rebooting with my ATI Xpress
> > 200M......In terms of Linux, this card appears to be the flakiest card
> > that ATI built....doesn't surprise me that yours works and mine doesn't.
>
> That is weird. I've never had a problem with mine. it's always worked fine
> with SuSE, Fedora, Kubuntu, and Mandriva.
>
> I've always used the driver from ATI's site. I am currently using version
> 8.34.8.
>

> --
> David M.

The card is a lot more stable on later versions of the driver...there was a
period of time last fall in which newer drivers would not work at all with
this card on a lot of models of laptops.....the Ubunut forums had several
threads with thousands of entries of folks trying to sort it all out.  I read
through most of them--at the time was using Dapper--and had to revert to
older driver than Dapper held in its repositories...what a mess!

Larry