Passwords on ODF files

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 11 10:38:42 UTC 2007

On Saturday 11 August 2007 03:59:17 am Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > The principle of the answer Matt gave
> > still applies, even if the base number is bigger. If the password length
> > is doubled, it takes far more than double the time to guess the password.
>
> Thanks.  My point definitely wasn't to recommend using only lower-case
> letters and digits.  It's just to simply the analysis, and it's not much
> of an oversimplification, because most users really don't use complex
> passwords.
>
> Matthew Flaschen

ok so lemme see if I understand it.....(15 letters x 2 for uppercase) + (10
numbers x 2 for special char) ^ (25 for length)/2

30+20 ^25/2

50^25/2 =
1,490,115,253,322,075,409,335,142,750,678,456,308,527,668.39900244314951730712

This is for a 25 char long password, using 15 letters of the alpha bet with
uppercase, 10 numerals, and 10 spec chars

Let us assume this is a completely random password....

Now let me ask the question again.....what exists out there that can crack
this password....add this secondary question to it:  How long (guestimate)
would it take to crack such a complex beast given good PC hardware?

Would this PCWIN or John the Ripper software that others mentioned be capable
of doing it?  Also curious about hardware requirements to do this
efficiently.....lets say I don't want to be waiting for weeks to do one file.
I want to have an idea of the effort involved to crack just one password.

A comparison can be made to file safes.....good ones are rated to take 4-5
hours of work with special tools to break into them.

Larry