fake raid SATA card working with Kubuntu 6.06 ?

James Gray james.gray at dot.com.au
Thu Aug 9 05:26:57 UTC 2007

Christophe Guilbert wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Could guys advise me on a fake raid sata PCI card brand which would work
> out of the box with Kubuntu 6.06, I want to do a raid 0+1 server with
> 3x500GB HDs.
>
> Thanks a lot for any shared experience.

0+1 on 3 drives....oooookay.  I've used the Adaptec 1420 cards with
Linux 2.6.9 (CentOS) without any major problems.  IIRC I needed to
download the driver from Adaptec though - easy to install.

Beyond that, I've also used a number of "Silicon Image" based boards
that use the "sata_sil24" module.  However, you still need to use
"mdadm" or LVM to create the RAID sets as the SI boards simply present
the drives as separate block devices (ie, /dev/sd[abcd]).  Still "fake
RAID" is really just software RAID abstracted back a level so Joe User
only sees one drive.

HTH,

James