Backup part 2

Michael W. Holdeman lists at ptfd.org
Wed Aug 8 23:30:19 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 08 August 2007 12:30:38 pm Adam McGreggor wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 11:02:00PM -0400, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> > Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Once I have bought the drive, are there any recommendations as to how
> > > to best use it please? Which program for example.
> >
> > I use rdiff-backup (http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/) to keep a
> > complete mirror of my home directory, along with reverse increments
> > (using the rsync diff algorithm) that allow me to get earlier versions
> > of the files.
>
> Hum, i've had problems with rdiff-backup running on different OSen (even
> 'tween Debian and Umbungo), which ISTR is documented. Handles well
> between different versions of FreeBSD tho' :)
>
> > It's supposed to run nightly, but the automatic backups tend to get
> > interrupted when my computer goes to sleep.  So I run it manually
> > occasionally.
>
> My backups typically use rsync; bit o' bash to specify what and how, and
> good ole cron dealing. On the BSD boxes, I use rdiff-backup.
>
> I back-up configs (& their RCS directories) & log files for things I care
> about (including dpkg -l output); + data : anything that's bog-standard,
> software, or something that can easily be re-created on an install i
> see no point wasting (backup) disk-space on.
>
> rdiff's got quite an example-based man page.
>
> If you're using your removable device, just remember to mount it before
> doing a backup :) ...

I've been using rsnapshot. I really like it soo far. I make local backups with
it to a specific directory on teh local drive, then once a week I run it with
the usb "mybook" installed and back u pall the archives to the external
drive.

I have tried to use it with retrospect, but cant seem to get the setup right.
If you could figure it out you would even have a really nice kde based gui
for selecting fioles to examine and or restore...

Mike