Wide Screen distortion

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 22:04:42 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007 09:52:28 pm Brendan wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Brendan wrote:

> > > same monitor and resolution here...
> > > Everything looks dandy.
> >
> > I don't believe that it can actually be using that resolution.  If it's
> > using a normal ratio resolution, you'll see stretching.  If it's really
> > using 1680x1050, you won't.
>
> I am using 1680x1050, really. I swear.
> Everything looks ok.
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "NVIDIA"
>         Driver          "nvidia"
>         BusID           "PCI:4:0:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
>         Option          "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Device          "NVIDIA"
>         Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
>         DefaultDepth    24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Depth           24
>                 Modes           "1680x1050"
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection

True this is what your xorg.conf file *says* but that doesn't mean that this
is what your resolution actually *is*.

What we have to do is get the refresh rates, monitor size etc. from the
monitor.  The Question is what settings for the monitor exist in your
xorg.conf?  I think, "Generic Monitor" will not get you very far.

From KDE go to the Kmenu -> "System Settings" -> "Monitor & Display".
Once there, click on the "Administrator Mode" and enter your password.
Then, you can check the various tabs Like "Orientation & Positioning",
and "Hardware" and see if what you have Hardware wise matches what is there.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.