Backups

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Wed Aug 8 16:02:18 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>
>> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I thought about that, but I was told by the guys in my local
>>> computer shop (they made up my computer for me) that flash drives are
>>> not meant to be used for back-ups. Personally I don't see why not.
>> Depending on how often you backup, because flash drives have a limited
>> number of write cycles.
>
> Yeah, but isn't that usually figured in terms of thousands (or tens of
> thousands)?  Which makes it considerably more reusable than a CD-RW!
>
> I'd think that a flash drive would tend to make an excellent backup medium,
> since backup is - with best practice - a low frequency task.

You would have to think about the whole permissions thing. If you want to restore
files - especially dot files then permissions are very important. A flash drive is
vfat (fat32) and doesn't understand permissions.
Of course you could format the flash drive to ext2 (not ext3 - you don't need a
journaling file system on a flash drive).

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries