Backup part 2

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Aug 8 04:02:00 BST 2007

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Thanks for all the help regarding backing up my hard drive. It seems
> that the best option is an external hard-drive. Having searched around
> the internet, there are so many to choose from Sigh.
>
> Once I have bought the drive, are there any recommendations as to how
> to best use it please? Which program for example.

I use rdiff-backup (http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/) to keep a
complete mirror of my home directory, along with reverse increments
(using the rsync diff algorithm) that allow me to get earlier versions
of the files.

It's supposed to run nightly, but the automatic backups tend to get
interrupted when my computer goes to sleep.  So I run it manually
occasionally.

Matt Flaschen