Wide Screen distortion

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Tue Aug 7 22:00:23 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Terence Simpson wrote:
> Tim Johnson wrote:
> > Hi:
> > I have acquired a new widescreen monitor. Nice to have all the
> > viewing "real estate", but things a now a bit "stretched horizontally".
> > Is there any adjustments to be done from X or KDE?
> > Notes:
> > kubuntu 7.04 amd64, KDE 3.5.6. Acer X221W monitor.
> > thanks
> > Tim
>
> Have you set X to use a wide-screen resolution?

  I'm coming from slackware and keep forgetting the ubuntu's wizards
  actually work :-). I've started futzing with system->settings and
  found the following:

  System settings->Monitor and Display->"Hardware" tab
  and clicked on "configure". There is an option for "Image Format"
  of "Widescreen 16:9". Choosing that has made a "world" of difference.
  jpegs look *much* better.

  I have noted - however - that the "details" section there gives a
  Horizontal range of 28.0-33.0 and Vertical refresh of 43-72.
  It does not appear to be editable, and the manufacturer recommends
  H 64 & V 60.
  I wonder if anything can be done about that?

thanks!
Tim