Backups

Michael Bach (gmx) bach.michael at gmx.net
Tue Aug 7 07:24:54 UTC 2007

Hi Neil,
I use an external usb-harddisk for backups. My setup: laptop with a 100
GByte /home partition (about 40G free). This partition is backed up
regularly. All media stuff (and other less import things) are kept on
another external usb-disk.

For the actual backups I used to make one to one copies. I wasn't
completely happy with this approach and went over to use "rsync" because
it can (i) delete files on the backup if they are removed from the
source tree and (ii) can make copies of files in the backup if they have
changed on the source tree. However, I just recently read in the German
issue of the "Linux-Magazin" that "rsync" is somehow limited if it comes
to synchronisation of two computer, eg. laptop and desktop sharing same
backup. One article recommended the "unison" tool.
If I am not mistaken, "unison" comes with a graphical frontend and for
rsync there is a program called "grsync".

External disks have the advantage that they can be taken and locked away
easily and you can put bigger disks inside. Amongst external usb or sata
drives, check out network drives.

Mike