KnetworkManager

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 22:28:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 22:00:14 +0200
Søren Brønsted <soren at bronsted.dk> wrote:

SB> On Sunday 05 August 2007 22:39:14 Jan Torben Heuer wrote:
SB> > Søren Brønsted wrote:
SB> > > After I did a Manual Configuraton on KnetworkManager it always
SB> > > starts up in wired connected mode. I can not select any wrieless
SB> > > networks anymore. How do I get my wireless networks back?
SB> >
SB> > is wireless still enabled (Options)?
SB> yes it is.

Methinks there's a bug here.

For me if there is nothing in /etc/network/interfaces then it scans and
shows me the wireless networks that it finds. However it once I
configure the interface (entering ESSID and WEP key) that is written to
/etc/network/interfaces, whereafter it no-longer scans.

It therefore seems to be at best a grave misfeature that reduces the
usefulness of the tool to near zero. If anyone is of the opinion that
I'm misinterpreting the function & purpose of knetworkmanager speak up
or I'll post a bug report tomorrow.

James

P.S. Even first time I'm not connecting successfully but that may be a
problem with the orinoco driver and the airport card (though I used to
be able to connect manually to networks when running edgy).

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |