nfs connection speed question - Solved!

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Fri Aug 3 09:14:31 UTC 2007

Mark Kelly wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Thursday 02 August 2007 22:01, David McGlone wrote:
>> On Thursday 02 August 2007 12:43:59 pm Nigel Ridley wrote:
>>> My fstab entry (on the laptop):
>>> 192.168.0.xxx:/home/nigel /mnt/Home nfs noauto,rw,user,hard,intr 0 0
>> Nigel, I'm not an expert, but shouldn't your entry have some forward
>> slashes in front of the IP address
>
> The // notation is specific to CIFS, as far as I know. Nigel's fstab looks
> fine.
>
>> I'm not really sure about nfs, but I'd suspect it works like cifs.
>
> No, it's quite different.
>
> The only advice I can offer about the original problem is to look carefully
> at the firewalls on both machines. NFS uses a randomly chosen port for
> each connection, perhaps negotiating this is causing the delay. I have
> seen it fail with an overly stringent firewall.
>
> Mark

No it wasn't the firewall - it was - drum_roll - nfs-common wasn't installed!
I never thought to install it as I figured it came as default and anyway I could
connect to the main [server] box albeit after 1 1/2 minutes.
I checked to see what [of nfs] was installed using Adept and lo and behold -
nothing! So I installed nfs-common and now it connects instantly :-)

Question: How come I could connect (using 'mount /mnt/Home') without anything of
nfs being installed??

Blessings,

Nigel

--