Kubuntu hoses Windows on HP Pavilion A810n

manchicken manchicken at notsosoft.net
Wed Aug 1 12:13:31 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 01 August 2007 00:09:47 Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> Greg Booth wrote:

> >> Adn of course you no longer get recovery CD's anymore.  I have installed
> >> dozens of Kubuntu systems safely in the past, My level of confidence
> >> that I would not hose someones Windows installation has now been
> >> shattered!
> >>
> >> Doug P
> >
> > Well, you lost me at "resized ntfs partition" that's not something I've
> > ever done. I've ghosted to a file, reformatted then ghosted back to the
> > new partition, but never just resized on the fly.
> >
> > Greg
>
> So I had to go buy WinXP. Arrrg!  I hate giving money to Microsoft!  I
> had to look several places for XP because some only sold Vista!  What a
> racket! I deleted  the fat32 HP partition on the HD, installed XP and
> Kubuntu.  Everything works now but I lost all my nephew's games. (It
> wasn't my computer).
>
> Any Ideal why HP's partition scheme would not run Windows after a
> Kubuntu install?
>
> Doug P

HP's partition scheme is built upon the windows bootloader.  Kill the windows
bootloader (say, with grub), kill the restore partition.  I found that
supergrub can let you access it again, but that it's a pain to get it back.

When blaming Kubuntu, remember that NTFS is a bit of an exception case.  It's
a filesystem that is regularly fragmented, and you used a program I've never
heard of to resize the partition.

Granted I've ever set up a dual-boot once (and it was with a vista machine,
and that did not turn out well), I've noticed that this is one of the
pain-points for most folks installing GNU/Linux operating systems.

I just never saw the value in keeping windows installed I suppose.

--
~ manchicken <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.