USB flash memory

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 05:49:54 UTC 2007

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:21:44 -0500

>> reformatted it fat32 and copied everything back.
>> Had the same problem here. Was in a huge rush, said "ah it won't do
>> anything !" yanked it, got to work and look at that ! NO FILES !! It
>> asked me if I wanted to format it; of course canceled out of that.
>> Went out and downloaded a nice free program ( yes, windows, but I
>> couldn't find anything else ! ) and recovered all the files from it,
>> reformatted it fat32 and copied everything back.
>>
>> It took me five HOURS to fix it, but no it wasn't completely dead. And
>> if I didn't already have the know how to mess with stuff like this ( 5
>> am trying to figure out how to get into that unbootable hard drive to
>> recover data ) I'd have probably given up and bought a new one and
>> pronounced it dead.
>>
>> Greg
>>
> Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will certainly remember to unmount
> it properly and to make sure that it has finished downloading first.
> I'll have a look in my local computer shop tomorrow. They seem much
> cheaper than I expected.

I would also like to mention that the only brand that has ever given me
problems is Kingston. Not only one but several (used by staff in an
office and myself) write corrupt more often than not, be it in Windows
or Linux. One marked/bought as 1Gb was actually a 2Gb with half
unpartitioned (thanks Gparted)!! But what is the point when it is near
useless?

Sinclair