Recovering deleted files

claydoh claydoh at
Sat Sep 30 18:09:49 BST 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 12:20 pm, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I'm not sure what I did, but all the files in my
> /home/dotancohen/Photos directory are gone. The directory in question
> is on a seperate disk partition from the rest of the system. What
> tools can I use to recover the files?
> It is an ext3 filesystem. As soon as I discovered the error I stopped
> using it, but it is still mounted. I'm on the latest up-to-date
> Kubuntu.
> Thanks in advance.
> Dotan Cohen

Recovering files on ext3 is very difficult and not usually worth the effort.
BUT I have had some success once using a set of tools called testdisk to
recover *some* images from a hard drive:

It contains a tool called photorec that is used specifically to recover image

Check out these pages for some info: and
Clay Weber