small progress, no help so far with cups

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 28 03:52:47 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 23:25, Rob Blomquist wrote:
>On Wednesday 27 September 2006 03:58, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Humm, I'd have to go out to the machine to do that, and X isn't running
>> as root on that machine.  Although I could quit it, become root and
>> restart it I guess.  Also, its well known that at least the fedora
>> version of system-config-printer is broken beyond all hope of salvage,
>> so we tell folks on that list to please use the web interface instead.
>>
>> >If that does not answer, or partially answer your questions, then give
>> > us more detail about what you are doing.
>>
>> I'm trying to run mozilla or firefox from a remote shell (ssh) as root,
>> and configure this.  And it turns out that root at least, can print
>> across the network.  And I'd assume a normal user can print too, see
>> the lpstat output above when ssh'd in as gene.  So I'd assume gene can
>> print too.
>
>I had a heck of a time getting my Epson C80 to print, which was
> auto-configured under Mandriva.
>
>I can't find it now, but there was a help page that got me set up right.
> I had to install Gutenprint and some other utils that were necessry for
> my printer, but not in the main install. The number one pain I have with
> Ubuntu is that the web-configuration utility is broken in Ubuntu due to
> how they do the root less security.
>
>You can not use the localhost:631 to configure your printer. It is
> hopeless!
>
>You must use either the command line, or the KDE or Gnome printor tool,
> and be sure to set administrator privledges.

I could probably do that from here, if I knew the name of the executable.
Care to share that (for kde)

>Why the Ubuntu folks have decided to break some of the better things
> about certain linux programs, I have no idea. I have been with linux for
> 6 years, and Ubuntu is partly the easiest, and partly the hardest I have
> ever worked with.

Yippers.  Nary an argument from this quarter.  I suppose we could do like I
did one night in a bar in Lassen County CA, I started a reward fund for
Murphy.  Of course I had to give it all back the next night when they were
all quite a bit closer to sober. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)