small progress, no help so far with cups

Rob Blomquist rob.blomquist at verizon.net
Thu Sep 28 03:25:31 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 03:58, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Humm, I'd have to go out to the machine to do that, and X isn't running as
> root on that machine.  Although I could quit it, become root and restart
> it I guess.  Also, its well known that at least the fedora version of
> system-config-printer is broken beyond all hope of salvage, so we tell
> folks on that list to please use the web interface instead.
>
> >If that does not answer, or partially answer your questions, then give us
> > more detail about what you are doing.
>
> I'm trying to run mozilla or firefox from a remote shell (ssh) as root, and
> configure this.  And it turns out that root at least, can print across the
> network.  And I'd assume a normal user can print too, see the lpstat
> output above when ssh'd in as gene.  So I'd assume gene can print too.

I had a heck of a time getting my Epson C80 to print, which was auto-configured under Mandriva.

I can't find it now, but there was a help page that got me set up right. I had to install Gutenprint and some other utils that were necessry for my printer, but not in the main install. The number one pain I have with Ubuntu is that the web-configuration utility is broken in Ubuntu due to how they do the root less security.

You can not use the localhost:631 to configure your printer. It is hopeless!

You must use either the command line, or the KDE or Gnome printor tool, and be sure to set administrator privledges.

Why the Ubuntu folks have decided to break some of the better things about certain linux programs, I have no idea. I have been with linux for 6 years, and Ubuntu is partly the easiest, and partly the hardest I have ever worked with.

Rob

--
Mountlake Terrace, WA