small progress, no help so far with cups

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Sep 27 10:58:21 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 01:03, Rob Blomquist wrote:
>On Monday 25 September 2006 05:46, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>> However, they are not visible or usable to cups and friends.
>
>I take it that this is the problem. How would the friends see the
> printers? Through samba, possibly? In that case, you would need to
> configure samba to share the printers and allow them to be visible and
> usable to others.

No samba involved I hope, it has a habit of breaking things vis-a-vis
printers.  I do have samba shares setup, but not for any printers.
The lpstat output you saw, came from a cups supplied cli utility, its part
of the base 'cupsys' install AFAIK.

>And you are saying that these printers are not visible to cups????

No, apparently they are, but not to the web page at localhost:631.  But
that doesn't make sense either, as I can ssh into it as gene, that same
user who's running x, and an lpstat -d -p returns:

gene at shop:~$ lpstat -d -p
system default destination: lp2
printer lp0 is idle.  enabled since Wed 31 Dec 1969 07:00:00 PM EST
printer lp1 is idle.  enabled since Wed 31 Dec 1969 07:00:00 PM EST
printer lp2 is idle.  enabled since Wed 31 Dec 1969 07:00:00 PM EST
        Sending print file, 309206 bytes...
printer lp3 is idle.  enabled since Wed 31 Dec 1969 07:00:00 PM EST
gene at shop:~$ firefox

which starts and runs, but still cannot see the printers at the localhost
address.  There is also a rather humongous amount of failure messages spit
out to the cli, probably related to exporting x, but firefox itself seems
to run ok.

>Have you configured cups to use them? You can't use localhost:631 to
> configure them, as Ubuntu still hasn't figured out how to configure the
> cups interface to deal with the curveball of no root user.

Thats a no brainer, just set a password for root and use it. (sudo passwd)
Or is that the reason it doesn't work even when I run firefox or mozilla
as root?, the x environment running is as a normal user and being exported
to me isn't a root environment even though I am ssh'd into the box as
root?

>You can, however, use the printer GUI that Ubuntu or KDE comes with.
> Check out System Settings/Printers, and set the administrator mode at
> the bottom of the interface (Its off my non-LCD screen at the bottom
> right).

Humm, I'd have to go out to the machine to do that, and X isn't running as
root on that machine.  Although I could quit it, become root and restart
it I guess.  Also, its well known that at least the fedora version of
system-config-printer is broken beyond all hope of salvage, so we tell
folks on that list to please use the web interface instead.

>If that does not answer, or partially answer your questions, then give us
> more detail about what you are doing.

I'm trying to run mozilla or firefox from a remote shell (ssh) as root, and
configure this.  And it turns out that root at least, can print across the
network.  And I'd assume a normal user can print too, see the lpstat
output above when ssh'd in as gene.  So I'd assume gene can print too.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)