Usb drive problem ?

Frode M. Døving frode at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 25 18:10:56 UTC 2006

Monday 25 september 2006 03:26, skrev marcus:
> On Monday 25 September 2006 02:05, Greg Madden wrote:
[cut]
> More likely a permissions issue. I had similar trouble with a FAT32
> drive. Change your /etc/fstab to something like:
>
> /dev/sda1       /media/sda1   auto    rw,user,uid=1000      0       0
>
> This should mount the drive with you as owner and the plugdev group on
> Kubuntu.

[cut]

If this is a removable device i suggest removing all references to it
from /etc/fstab.
That way it will be handled as a removable device and the user mounting it
will get read and write permissions.

If you really want to use fstab entries this is my suggestion:
You have multiple removable USB devices and want them mounted to separate
mount-points in /media.
You can use the symlinks generated by udev, in /dev/disk/by-id/ instead of for
example. /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 and so on.

With this magic you can have fstab entries like this:

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-_USB_DISK_28X_0766167F01EA-part1 /media/usbstick	vfat
rw,user,uid=1000 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-_some_other_disk-part1 /media/storage ext3 defaults 0 0

Now it doesn't matter what device you plug in first. As udev will do the
symlinking.

- Frode