gnome or kde?

Fun Kid funkid_20910 at hotpop.com
Sun Sep 24 13:08:23 UTC 2006

Gert Gast wrote:
> Hi all, I just installed Dapper 6.06 Ubuntu, and I'm not so
> sure whether I like gnome that much. It is very slick, but kde
>  has far more options and flexibility with customisation. So I
>  wonder, does it make sense to install the kde desktop on top
>  of ubuntu and then at least be able to choose at startup. If
>  that's a possibility what would I have to install apart from
>  the kde deskstop. Else, would that cause major problems with
>  dependencies etc and is not recommended? Anyone has any
> experience with that?
>
> Cheers, Gert

Gert,

After installing Xubuntu on my machine, I realized that I did not
like the Xfce desktop environment.  I had some experience working
with the KDE desktop environment, so I installed KDE-desktop
using Synaptic Package Manager.  Currently, I have both desktop
environments (Xfce and KDE) on my ubuntu (Draper Drake) and
everything seems to be working fine.  At startup I get the option
of choosing the environment and I pick KDE.

It seems like the Synaptic Package Manager took care of
everything that needed to be installed for using the KDE desktop
environment.  Command line installation may or may not require
additional steps.  Hope this helps.

Fun Kid