Synaptic crashes trying to install ddclient

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 24 00:08:55 UTC 2006

I'm running a new install of Kubuntu 6.0.6 and the first thing I did was
to use Adept to install Synaptic.  I was tired of the lock file problem.

I've used Synaptic to do a package update and installed about 20
packages but Synaptic is crashing when trying to install ddclient
3.6.2-6ubuntu1.  Every other install has gone smoothly.

Synaptic stalls completely at the Applying Changes - Installing Software
window and the process has to be killed - the window does not respond in
any way.

After the first crash while installing a bunch of packages, I restarted
Synaptic and started installing the packages one at a time.  It crashes
every time I try to install ddclient.  My source.list file is basically
the plain vanilla file without multiverse.

Any idea why this is happening?  Could someone try to install ddclient
and see if _theirs_ crashes also?

Thank you.

Larry

--