installation hangs...[ trying again w/Alt CD, dual boot, /home sharing question?]

fsj fsjster at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 22:29:08 UTC 2006

    <snip>

> I partitioned off 6gb space to install Kubuntu on the hdd that houses my
> current FC5,
> and want to mount the same /home on my slave 200gb drive.
> Can I do that?  Will they play nice and share the same /home?
> 6gb should be plenty of space for the Kubu OS, too, shouldn´t it?

6 GB is fine.

There's one problem in sharing a home directory between fedora and kubuntu -
fedora start the userid and groupid numbering at 500, whereas kubuntu starts
at 1000.

Provided you have your home directory on a seperate partition you can solve
this by creating another user during kubuntu install. Example:

Fedora user	                tony
Kubuntu install user       tony-install

This will create a /home/tony-install directory in addition to the
existing /home/tony.

Login to your new kubuntu installation as tony-install and create a new
user "tony" in System Settings/System Administration/Users & Groups. Remember
to create this user with the userid and groupid from fedora, usually
501. "ls -l" shows the user/group id.

Finally either run the command "usermod -G admin tony" or add tony to
the /etc/sudoers file.

Now you can login as tony and start enjoying the kubuntu goodnes.... :)

Hope this helps, otherwise let us know.

Finn